Credential Earned: Certificate
44 week program
Day session: Monday - Friday, 9:00am – 1:00pm
Evening session: Monday - Friday, 6:00pm – 10:00pm
Courses are 5 weeks in length. Students complete 1 course at a time. Externship hours vary.
University of Antelope Valley’s Certificate Program in Professional Baking and Pastry provides instruction in the art and science of baking. Students use a variety of tools and equipment to produce items such as quick breads, yeast breads, cakes, frozen desserts, centerpieces, candies, cookies and various pastries. Students also study proper foodservice sanitation. Graduates are prepared for entry level positions such as bakers or pastry chefs.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful program completion graduates will be able to:
- Correctly calculate conversions and measurements used in baking.
- Demonstrate safe and sanitary methods for preparing food.
- Prepare and Produce a variety of Yeast Dough Bread and Roll Products.
- Prepare and Produce a variety of Danish Pastry
- Prepare and Produce a variety of Sweet and Savory Puff Pastry Products
- Mix, Bake, Fill, Frost and Decorate a Contemporary Occasion Cake.
- Prepare and Produce a variety of Contemporary Warm and Cold Plated Desserts.
- Prepare and Produce a variety of International Cookies, Cakes, and Pastries.
- Design, Plan and Execute a Contemporary Showpiece Amenity with assorted petit fors.
- Demonstrate leadership and teamwork while completing externship/internship.